Showing students the available tools to teach them how to use data to make decisions about marketing strategy is a key to effective teaching in social media. Since digital media are an essential part of a social media marketing strategy, students must understand search engine marketing and search engine optimization techniques. This social media marketing exercise introduces students to two tools: Spyfu and SEMRush. Both take data from Googel Keyword Planner and display the information in a more user friendly manner. It is also easier to log-into these sites. The limitation is that they do not provide as much data per search.
This exercise goes well with either chapter three or seven in Social Media & Mobile Marketing Strategy from Oxford University Press.
Social Media Marketing Keyword Exercise
Develop keyword strategies and then build keywords lists for the following business:
You are the marketing director for the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. The museum would like to attract visitors to New York City. The target market is tourists who are looking for historical and interesting activities in the city. Your job is to identify the optimal key words that tourists type into Google’s search engine so that you can determine the content you should include in your website and the terms you would use for paid search advertising.
The Lower East Side Tenement Museum, located at 97 and 103 Orchard Street in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, is a National Historic Site. The five-story brick tenement building at 97 Orchard was home to an estimated 7,000 people, from over 20 nations, between 1863 and 1935. The museum, which includes a visitors’ center down the block, promotes tolerance and historical perspective on the immigrant experience.
Steps to Take
- Brainstorm a set of key words that you think people might type into Google for this search.
- Begin typing these words into the search engine and identify 3 long-tail key words using the Google search box. The options will appear as you search.
- Use Spyfu and the URL tenement.org.
- Click on Keyword Groups to identify many key words and the value of each.
- Consider the cost, the search volume, the keyword difficulty and the logic of the word/phrase itself.
- Determine the best key word to emphasize in your strategy given that the museum wants to maximize reach at the lowest possible cost. Explain your result.
- How does the options given by Spyfu compare to the words you brainstormed? Explain.
- Type the best keyword from #2 that you determined into SEMrush. How does your keyword compare to those recommended by Spyfu?
- Which tool is better? Spyfu or SEMRush?