Here is a simple exercise you can use in your class to give your students familiarity with some key terms for search engine optimization (SEO). It uses Open Site Explorer and asks students to choose their own brand of interest. The goal is to help you teach social media marketing while considering its role in the broader digital marketing sphere. For more exercises on Social Media & Mobile Marketing Strategy, click here. You can also get a digital version of Social Media & Mobile Marketing here.
In-Class Exercise – Chapter Seven
- Go to www.opensiteexplorer.com
- Enter a URL for a company that has a web presence and one in which you are interested.
- Define the following terms:
- Domain Authority
- Page Authority
- Just Discovered
- Established Links
- Root Domain
4. List five websites linking to the page.
5. Evaluate the quality of each of the links to the page using PA. Is the page well positioned in terms of links?
6. Compare Page Metrics with one direct competitor of the brand. How does your company compare in terms of links?